A list of the great article I’ve read and posted to Twitter from July 19 – July 25, 2010. This week’s categories include: Strategy & Governance; Social Media, Internet & Fundraising; Economy & Finance; and Jewish & Israel (Nonprofit) News.
Strategy & Governance
“Help Wanted: (Nonprofit) Board Chairs”
Author: Alice Korngold
Site: Fast Company
Via: Debra Beck (@npmaven)
Comments: Why a great nonprofit board chair is so important. A great comprehensive post.
- “Wired for Success: How to Fulfill Your Potential” 7 habits of destructive CEOs & Leaders & their warning signs. Links: http://ow.ly/2eKfv (via @GuyKawasaki)
- “8 tips for Successful Volunteer Management” from @VolunteerSpot Link: http://ow.ly/2e1Nu (via @LJacobwith @achieve_consult)
- “US Charitable Giving is up 8.3% in first half of 2010″ Link: http://ow.ly/2esfh (via @charitynav @Philanthromax)
- “How Much Did Giving Drop Because of the Downturn?” by Holly Hall. How much giving dropped due to the recent recession? Are the numbers even accurate? Link: http://ow.ly/2g7Iy (via @askdebra @Philanthropy)
Social Media, Internet & Fundraising
“Online Fundraising Best Practices”
Author: Allyson Kapin
Via: Lori Jacobwith (@LJacobwith)
Comments: 7 Online Fundraising Strategies that can be implemented right now.
- “6 Website Redesign Mistakes To Avoid” Great points in the comments, including 2 from Charlie Kalech. Link: http://ow.ly/2g7Ec (via )
- “Tips for a Top-notch Tagline” by Holly Minch (@hollyminch). Link: http://bit.ly/cl1aRw (via @askdebra @NancySchwartz)
- “40+ Useful Web Design and Development Resources for Beginners” on Mashable (@mashable). Link: http://ow.ly/2g74Y (via @GuyKawasaki)
- “7 Twitter Tools for Listening, Monitoring, and Tracking” Link: http://ow.ly/2cH9u (via @askdebra @tamar)
Economy & Finance
“No Fed Plans to Give More Support, Bernanke Says”
Author: Sewell Chan
Site: New York Times
Comments: Grim news for future donations: Unemployment expected to remain high (above 7%) thru 2012.
- “Credit Score Is the Tyrant in Lending” In the USA, a Credit Score is too powerful & somtimes inaccurate. Link: http://ow.ly/2gbmM
- “Federal Report Faults Banks on Huge Bonuses” $1.58 billion in bankers’ bonuses were unmerited & “ill-advised” but US Gov can’t reclaim the money. Link: http://ow.ly/2gbpf
- “Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care” Another casualty of the economic crisis. But maybe for the best. Link: http://ow.ly/2gbqX
- “Strong Data From Britain and Germany Raise Hopes” At last, some good news from Europe as Britian & Germany report surprisingly optimistic economic data. Link: http://ow.ly/2gc2k
Jewish & Israeli (Nonprofit) News
“Financial Resource Development for Israeli Organizations”
Author: Stephen G. Donshik
Site: eJewish Philanthropy
Comments: Great analysis for Israeli Charities: Hiring a Professional Fundraiser or Outsourcing to a Professional Firm.
- “Can Day Schools Survive” by Tamar Snyder in the Jewish Week. Funding & Focus is shifting from Jewish Day Schools to Informal Jewish Education. Link: http://ow.ly/2gdPi
- “Bank Hapoalim to pay customers: The plan will cost the bank tens of millions of shekels” An example of a bank trying to make up for poor customer service by throwing money at their customers (I’m still closing my account). Link: http://ow.ly/2emYa (via @Israel_News)
- “Collecting a bounced check takes 1,600 days…And alimony can take 11 years to get” Interesting insight into beurocracy and finance laws in Israel. Link: http://ow.ly/2eSkD