A list of the great articles I’ve read and posted to Twitter from June 27 – July 3, 2010. This week’s topics include: Strategy & Governance; Social Media, Internet & Fundraising; Economy & Finance; and Jewish & Israeli (Nonprofit) News.
Strategy & Governance
“Young Leaders Pushing For Seat At Table”
Author: Tamar Snyder
Site: The Jewish Week
Via: eJewish Philanthropy
Comments: Only 2% of nonprofit board members are under-30. Young people are pushing to find seats.
- “Getting Results: Outputs, Outcomes & Impact” Always keep in mind that donors relate to MEASURED outputs of Outcomes & Impact. Link: http://bit.ly/cI4Hie (via @AlisonRapping@Grants_Pratt @tactphil)
- “Homeland Security Scrutinizing New Nonprofits: What Can We Expect & How Can We Adjust” Nonprofits applying for tax-exempt status in the United States have an additional hurdle to overcome. Link: http://ow.ly/25cVL
- “Is Israel’s 3rd Sector Filled With Amateurs?” Nonprofits should note that the sector is changing. Good take-home points at the end of the post. Link: http://ow.ly/25cGq (via @eshanken @eJPhil)
- “Avi Chai in Sunset: An Ongoing Case Study” The Avi Chai Foundation is documenting its spend-down process so others can learn from this rare event in the nonprofit sector. The first of the Foundation’s reports are available here. Link: http://ow.ly/26LY2 via @eJPhil
Social Media, Internet & Fundraising
“What Makes Up a Social Marketing Strategy?”
Via: Debra Askanase (@askdebra)
Comments: A study shows that while social media usage has increased, many companies still lack strategy or policy.
- “The UK Emergency Budget’s Effect on Fundraising: Good, Bad and Imaginative” England’s mergency budget left a lot of questions, the least of which is, how does it affect nonprofits? Link: http://ow.ly/25tLX (via eJewish Philanthropy)
- “The 6 R’s of Twitter” When using Twitter, always let these basics guide you. Link: http://ow.ly/23O55 (via @askdebra)
- “How To: Evaluate Your Social Media Plan” It takes time, effort, and resources before this new media will have an impact on you brand. Here are a few tips businesses should consider. Link: http://is.gd/d6R7r (via @AlisonRapping @SocialNicole)
Economy & Finance
“Recovery Slows with Weak Job Creation in June”
Author: Michael Powell
Site: New York Times
Comment: Don’t expect donors to come running back just yet. Job creation is the true sign to an end of a recession. Additionally, less jobs mean less paychecks, which mean less donations.
- “Can Watching TV Make You Depressed about Your Financial Future?” A new Israeli study says, yes. Link: http://ow.ly/257AM
- “Stop Wasting Your Money on These 25 Things” Ways to cut down on everyday over-spending. Link: http://is.gd/d9d2w
Jewish & Israel (Nonprofit) News
“The Changing Rules of Fundraising for an Israeli Nonprofit”
Author: Sari Revkin
Site: Contact Magazine
Via: eJewish Philanthropy
Comments: Strategies for Israeli nonprofit organizations to keep North American donors giving.
- “Fischer Tells the Story of Israel 2010″ Bank of Israel Chief Stanley Fischer is upbeat for Israel in 2010. Says Europe Bloc will prevail (but Israel shouldn’t join). Link: http://ow.ly/26M3F
- “Electric Co. Board Bans Borrowing” Israel Electric Company, one of the most solid investment options in Israel, enters a crisis and must issue bonds to repay debt. Link: http://ow.ly/257Fo
- “Competition Between Credit Card Firms Rising, but Users Pay More” Consumers beware: While Israeli credit cards are competing fiercely, consumers are still faced with very high interest fees. Link: http://ow.ly/24KYg