A list of the great articles from around the web that I’ve read from June 14 – June 20, 2010. This week’s categories include: Governance & Strategy; Social Media, Internet & Fundraising; Jewish/Israel (Nonprofit) News; and Economics & Finance.
I’m still tinkering with the format. Your comments are always appreciated. Enjoy.
Governance & Strategy
“BP Oil Spill: A Cautionary Tale on Blurring of Sector Boundaries?”
Author: Phil Buchanan
Site: The Center for Effective Philanthropy
Via: The Chronicle of Philanthropy
Synopsis: Is corporate philanthropy stripping nonprofits of their independence?
- “Cause Marketing 2.0 – Where Do We Go From Here?” Future of cause marketing: Dig Deeper so as to enage customers, forcing them to think. Link: http://ow.ly/1YdmM (via @askdebra)
Social Media, Internet & Fundraising
- “The Social Web is Here!” Nice slide show by Frank Barry with examples of three examples of social media strategies of nonprofits. Link: http://bit.ly/921BAl (via @AlisonRapping @askdebra)
- “The New Jew: Microblog– An Experiment in Social Media” by Maya Norton. One blogger experiments with the relationship between a blog & Facebook — can the two coexist? Link: http://tinyurl.com/tnjmret
- “Have You Seen LinkedIn’s New Look?” by Debra Askanase. Big changes in LinkedIn groups. The site gets a ‘social’ face-lift, answers get rated, & more. Link: http://ow.ly/1Yo82
- “11 Things to Avoid When Using Twitter” by Hillel Fuld. The article was written a year ago and it’s amazing how the list still holds true. Link: http://is.gd/cPcO0
Jewish/Israel (Nonprofit) News
“Israelis Don’t Donate, Says Study”
Author: Lior Dattel
Synopsis: Researchers claim that Israeli Gov’t tax policy doesn’t encourage altruism from private individuals or the corporate sector.
- “Top 40 Most Popular Facebook Groups and Pages for Jobs in Israel” by Jacob Share. Link: http://bit.ly/dhgyG7 (via @davidcorman)
- “Europe Crisis Foils Interest, Shekel Forecasts” Continued cuts in forecasts of the value of the shekel and of Bank of#Israel interest rates. Link: http://ow.ly/1Za3G (via @Israel_News)
Economics & Finance
“The Next Man On The Moon Won’t Be An American”
Author: Doron Tsur
Synopsis: Historical advantages of West – tech & military superiority – have disappeared. It’s time to adjust!
- “ANALYSIS – Swiss Banks Win Rich Clients Fleeing Euro Crisis” Security, not secrecy, important when choosing a bank. Declared money is pouring into Switzerland. Link: http://ow.ly/1ZGuz
- “France and Spain Act to Rein In Budgets” European countries under pressure from leaders & markets, take steps to reing in their budgets. Link: http://ow.ly/1ZGpP