A list of the great articles that I’ve read and posted to Twitter between October 4 – 17, 2010. This week’s topics inlcude: Mark Zuckerberg & Philanthropy; Strategy & Governance; Social Media & Internet; Jewish & Israel (Nonprofit News); and Economy & Finance.
Mark Zuckerberg & Philanthropy
“On Social Impact and Mark Zuckerberg’s $100 Million ‘Investment”
Author: Rachel Bellow and Suzanne Muchin
Via: @mattsinclair @pndblog
Comments: Is a BIG CHECK best way 2 create social impact? Red flags from the Facebook-founder’s mega pledge.
- “5 Lessons for Mark Zuckerberg” And anyone else with a lot of money looking to truly make a difference. Link: http://ow.ly/2OE8C
- “The Meaning of Mark Zuckerberg’s Philanthropy” What Facebook’s Co-Founder Mark Zuckerberg’s donation of $100 mil signifies on a broader picture. Link: http://ow.ly/2OEou
Strategy & Governance
“5 Trends Shaping the Future of Social Good”
Author: Sara Kessler
Via: @fdncenter @NonprofitSRQ
Comments: Social good experts were asked about trends that will shape the way we use social media for positive change in the future. Here’s their answers.
- “Not Just a Resume Booster: Tips for Evaluating a Nonprofit Before Joining the Board of Directors” Board applicants should not blindly accept a director position without some understanding of the organization and his or her responsibilities. Link: http://ow.ly/2RmLs (via @GTak)
- “The Leadership Lesson of Ants” Cute & very true. Link: http://ow.ly/2OyLs (via @rabbigreen)
- “IRS Releases Draft Version of the Form 990 for 2010″ Link: http://ow.ly/2RAyE (via @Philanthropy)
- “Charity Regulators Focus on Governance” 80-90% of nonprofits don’t consult w lawyers on regular basis (& other governance issues). Link: http://ow.ly/2RmPx (via @GTak)
- “4 Simple Ways Your Blog Can Get More High-Paying Clients” Dead-on! Link: http://ow.ly/2P3IW (via @johnhaydon @copyblogger)
- “Use WordPress.com or Gravatars? You’ll Want to Fill Out Your Profile – Now” Gravatar rolled out some new features that should convince people to make sure theirs are up-to-date. Link: http://bit.ly/d9nQQi (via @nptechblogs @socialsignal)
- “I’m Homeless & This Is Why I Have an iPad” Interesting and, truly, a different kind of article. Link: http://ow.ly/2SekN (via @rabbigreen @Gizmodo)
Jewish & Israel (Nonprofit) News
“Success for Israeli NGOs in the States”
Author: Avrum D Lapin
Site: eJewish Philanthropy
Comments: In Fundraising: Partnership & Trust = Success for Israeli NGO’s in the U.S.
- “Using Philanthropy to ‘Solve Problems’” Outgoing JFN Director Charendoff believes that Jewish organizations are “preserving a system as opposed to solving a range of problems.” Link: http://ow.ly/2TtB9
- “The Israeli middle class is shrinking – but only slightly.” The worst good news I have ever heard. http://ow.ly/2S7uo
- “Bank of Israel Plan Counters Real Estate Price Rise” Bank of Israel weighs EXTREME options 2 counter rising real estate prices. Did I mention extreme? Link: http://ow.ly/2S7GB
- “Brief History of the GA for Dummies” Very brief & truly 4 novices though enjoyed the questions raised. Link: http://ow.ly/2PSHS (via @Jerusalem_Post)
- “Great Website to Calculate Salaries in Israel” – incorporates tax, pension and other benefits http://ow.ly/2Q231
Economy & Finance
“The Inevitabilities in Capitalism’s Collision with Social Responsibility”
Author: Linda Chang
Site: TriplePundit.com (@triplepundit)
Comments: Capitalism must embrace emerging trends of transparency & social good to survive.
- “Public Jobs Drop Amid Slowdown in Private Hiring” Bad news in the US Job Market (which also means bad news for Nonprofits & expected donations). Link: http://ow.ly/2RvRH
- “More Countries Adopt China’s Tactics on Currency” Another battle for The Dollar: Countries intentionally devalueing currency for economic growth. Link: http://ow.ly/2OyOW