My list of great articles from around the web that I’ve posted to Twitter between September 13 – October 3. This edition’s topics include: Strategy & Governance; Fundraising; Social Media & Internet; Jewish & Israeli (Nonprofit) News; and Economy & Finance.
As the string of Jewish Holidays that started with Rosh Hashana, The New Year, officially ended this past Thursday night I hope to return my posts to their regular weekly routine.
Strategy & Governance
“12 Ways to Pass the Torch: Trusting a New Generation to Sustain the Social Justice Movement”
Author: Rosetta Thurman (@rosettathurman)
Comments: Great strategies for passing the torch (bottom of the article mentions the list).
- “Eight Months Later, Haiti Struggles as Never Before” Haiti: Different catastrophe, same problem. Money & attention flow in at first but then peter out. Link: http://ow.ly/2GV9M
- “Pepsi Refresh Project Racks Up More Votes than Last Presidential Election” on Mashable. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Either way, definitely something to think about. And maybe even incorporate. Link: http://ow.ly/2JU8x via (@nonprofitorgs)
- “Donors Reserving The Right To Change Their Minds” How the recent recession is affecting bequests & trusts to charities – a decline in net giving? Link: http://ow.ly/2LiM2
- “Do Changes in Our Nonprofit Bylaws Have to Be Reported to the IRS?” A nice, simple FYI brought to you by Answers.com. Link: http://ow.ly/2KfFp (via @FundraisingNews)
- “Nonprofit Law Blog: September 17″ Great articles in this week’s newletter on Boards, Exec Pay, Corp Philanthropy, Nonprofit Status. Link: http://ow.ly/2Gtk1
“Foundation Execs Testing Social Media Waters”
Author: Dan Brown
Site: eJewish Philanthropy (@eJPhil)
Comments: Recent study is released and available to download. Is this signaling a shift in traditional Foundation communication? I hope so.
- “Arrangements btwn Charities & Fundraising Companies Scrutinized” Are donors mislead about the exact amounts left for use by the nonprofits. The questions remains: Is some money better than no money? Link: http://ht.ly/195mpm
- “Charities Go Online for Holiday Giving” Nonprofit orgs will be using online tools to augment their holiday fundraising. Link: http://ow.ly/2K8O3
- “Generation Z – The New Philanthropists” Involving the next, next gen of donors age 12 & under (psst, they’re 18% of the population). Link: http://ow.ly/2Fqh9 (via @KooDooZ)
Social Media & Internet
“29 Essential Social Media Resources”
Author: Zachary Sniderman
Comments: Great links to articles that cover social good, social media, technology and business.
- “Facebook CoFounder Is Building a Social Network for Non-Profits” Short video presentation by Chris Hughes at Mashable’s Social Good Summit 2010 where he decrbies his next big idea, Jumo. Link:http://ow.ly/2HYRs (via @davidcorman & @CharlieKalech)
- “5 Rules for Your About Page” by Seth Godin. Fundamental rules to follow when creating an “About” page for your website. Link: http://ow.ly/2Kmab (via @askdebra)
- “5 Rules for How to Make Things Go Viral” 1 minute clip from Jonah Peretti (@peretti), co-Founder of Huffington Post and CEO of BuzzFeed. Link: http://t.co/pT02RIA (via @techcrunch @franswaa@sue_anne)
Jewish & Israel (Nonprofit) News
“Jewish Philanthropy Must Adapt to Changes”
Author: Gil Shefler
Via: Joel Katz (@religion_state)
Comments: Jeff Solomon shares predictions for the upcoming General Assembly in November.
- “Charity Ulpan: Defining a Chevrah LeTo’elet Hatzibur [Public Benefit Company]“ by Shuey Fogel (@nonprofitbanker). Explaining the somewhat contradictory concept of a Public Benefit Company – a legal entity unique to Israel. Link: http://ow.ly/2GOaV
- “Google Search and Jewish Charity” Report of terms searched on Google shows that Jewish Charity & Tzedakah are less popular than they used to be. Link: http://ow.ly/2H3B6
- “Investing in Israel For the Greater Good” Investing in Israel allows one to simultaniously invest sensibly & have a positive social impact. Link: http://ow.ly/2DdqT
- “Families skimped on clothes, shoes as housing costs leaped 12% in 2009” Link: http://ow.ly/2DO83
- “Bank of Israel Chief to Fight Poverty in the Haredi Sector” Great synthesis of Government & Private Sector — Stanley Fischer hosted debate on Haredim in the Workforce initiated by private Haredi magazine. Link: http://ow.ly/2HrcK
Economy & Finance
“Clal Forex: Exchange Rate Could Head to NIS 3.50/$”
Author: Koby Yeshayahou
Comments: Here we go again: The weaking of the dollar on a global scale in conjunction with the continued rising of the Bank of Israel interest rate could send the dollar back into the low zones.
- “Fed Stands Pat and Says It Is Still Ready to Buy Debt” US Fed admits slow economic recovery could be undermined by low inflation & hinted at intervention. Link: http://ow.ly/2HX71
- “America is Done and Dusted” A “doom & gloom” interview discussing the current state of American Economy. Prophecy or Unwarrented Pessimism? Link: http://ow.ly/2DiqF